Glass is one of the most common things that we see in our lives, however, making it is not as easy as we may think. There are a lot of detailed processes that must be taken into account, and a slip-up in even one of these processes can cause the glass to be an inferior product that breaks too easily. This is why it is essential to find highly competent glass manufacturing companies in India if you are planning on embarking on building your new home or an office building.
How is glass manufacturing done?
Glass is made of naturally occurring raw materials such as sand, limestone, clarifying agents and, at times, colouring. These items are placed in a furnace and they come together to produce glass as you know it. Typically, the following process is used to make float glass, which is the normal glass that you see in your everyday life:
- Raw materials such as silica sand, soda, calcium oxide, and magnesium, are weighed properly and then mixed with cut glass (or recycled glass). The reason why most modern glass manufacturing companies in India use cut glass is because it reduces the overall thermal energy that is required to make the glass.
- Once all the raw materials are mixed and placed in batches, they are pushed into a five-chambered furnace where they are exposed to very high levels of heat. The heat can be as high as 1600-degrees celsius in this furnace, and this allows all the raw materials to melt together and form molten glass.
- This molten glass is then poured over molten tin. The process of doing so is known as floating, as the molten glass floats over the tin. As it does so, it forms a ribbon that can have a thickness of 5-mm-6-mm.
- Rolling machines are then used to press the glass and reduce the thickness down to 1.9-mm. The rollers can also be used to create glass as thick as 19-mm.
- When the glass is placed on the molten tin, it has a temperature of around 1000-degrees celsius. It is allowed to cool down to 600-degrees celsius for the next step.
- Once it has cooled down, it is placed in an annealing chamber. Here, the internal structure of the glass is strengthened ensuring that it can be cut into panels of different sizes later.
- The final step at AIS Glass is to conduct quality checks to make sure that each pane of glass is absolutely perfect.
As you have no doubt surmised, manufacturing glass is a very precise process. This is why you should only trust the best glass manufacturing companies in India, like AIS Glass.
What can our glass be used for?
At AIS Glass, we manufacture a variety of glass that can be used for:
- The window panes in cars
- Windows in residential buildings (we offer a range of specialised glass like solar glass, green-tinted glass, thermal glass, noise insulation glass, energy-efficient glass, and so on)
- Windows in commercial buildings (we offer privacy glass solutions as well)
As one of the leading glass manufacturing companies in India, we can always assure you of the highest quality. To know more, get in touch today.