Bullet Resistant Glass
Bullet-resistant glass is a strong but optically transparent material that is cannot be penetrated when struck. However, they are not completely impenetrable.
- Glass is brittle and it does not have a good orderly crystalline structure. If it did, it would be like metal steel, where it dents and deforms instead of shattering.
- This allows the glass to absorb the bullet’s energy by transferring the kinetic energy of the bullet into shattering the glass.
- The softer plastic layer reinforces the glass by holding it in place and allowing the glass to flex back as it absorbs the impact.
- The polycarbonate and laminate also spread the force of the bullet laterally across the entire glass surface.
- Layering these in multiple sheets allows the window to use properties of both materials more effectively; such as the glass on the backside shattering while the undamaged glass holds together the window. This also allows the glass to stop more that one bullet.
- Since polycarbonate is very strong and does not shatter like glass it is an excellent candidate for bullet-proofing.
Bullet Resistance Classification According To European Norms EN 1063
|RN – Round Nose||SC – Soft Core (lead)||AP – Armour Piercing||FJ – Full Metal Jacket||CB-Cone Bullet||LB – Lead Bullet|
|SCP – Soft Core (lead) & Steel Penetrator||API – Armour Piercing Incendiary||FN – Flat Nose||PB – Pointed Bullet||HC – Hard core, steel hardness > 63 HRC|
|Class||Weapon||Caliber||Type||Weight (g)||Range (m)||Velocity (m/s)||Impact Energy||Shots|
|BR1||Handgun/Rifle||0.22 LR||LB/RN()||2.6 ± 0.1||10.00 ± 0.5||360 ± 10||170 J||3|
|BR2||Handgun||9×19mm Parabellum||FJ/RN/SC||8.0 ± 0.1||5.00 ± 0.5||400 ± 10||640 J||3|
|BR3||Handgun||0.357 Magnum||FJ/CB/SC||10.2 ± 0.1||5.00 ± 0.5||430 ± 10||940 J||3|
|BR5||Rifle||5.56×45mm NATO||FJ/PB/SCP||4.0 ± 0.1||10.00 ± 0.5||950 ± 10||1800 J||3|
|BR6||Rifle||7.62×51mm NATO||FJ/PB/SC||9.5 ± 0.1||10.00 ± 0.5||830 ± 10||3270 J||3|
|BR7||Rifle||7.62×51mm NATO||FJ/PB/HC||9.8 ± 0.1||10.00 ± 0.5||820 ± 10||3290 J||3|