If you have ever taken a walk around your neighbourhood in an area where modern buildings are being constructed, you would have noticed one common element across them all. Modern residential homes use a lot of glass to make the homes look great. You would have probably spotted large windows, glass balconies, and even sliding doors with glass being used in such buildings. In all likelihood, if you decide to remodel your home or build a new home, you will end up leveraging similar design elements to make your home look great. With this in mind, it’s essential to understand the different types of glasses that you should explore to end up with the best possible home.
What are the different types of glasses for residential use?
While looking at the beautifully constructed modern homes in your locality, you may not necessarily notice any difference in the glass used in such homes, and the glass used in older homes. However, there’s more to the glass than what meets the eye! Modern homes use high-performance glass and these are very different from the plain panes of glass that you see in older homes. High-performance glass is designed in a special way to meet the needs of the homeowners. Where regular glass can shatter easily, high-performance glass is strong and resilient.
When it comes to the different types of glasses you should browse, here are a few high-performance options that you definitely cannot ignore.
- Low-e glass: You must have learnt about the harmful rays of the sun in school. UV rays and infrared rays both can lead to the development of skin cancer and other health concerns, which is why it is essential to minimise your exposure to them. One way to do that is by installing low-e glass or low emission glass in your windows and sliding doors. This type of glass only allows visible light to pass through it and enter your home. In other words, it blocks UV rays and infrared rays, ensuring that you are safe. This is one of the different types of glasses that many homeowners are using today.
- Solar control glass: While light entering certain parts of the home can be a boon, light in other parts can be a curse as it can make it difficult to sit in that room when it gets too hot. In such cases, the best course of action is to get solar control glass. This is a special type of glass that has an oxide coating. The coating ensures that the rays of the sun bounce off the surface of the glass, and do not enter your home. Natural light will still enter your home, and you won’t have to worry about a dimly lit environment. The primary function is to prevent the buildup of heat. The biggest benefit of this is that you won’t have to rely on the AC all the time.
- Solar Low-E Glass: When it comes to different types of glasses that offer dual functions, you cannot go wrong with solar low-e glass. This glass has the same solar coating as solar control glass, and also has the properties of low-e glass. This means that it will ensure that the sun’s heat bounces off the surface and does not lead to heat accumulation indoors. It will also ensure that the UV rays and infrared rays do not enter your home. Such glass is a good option for areas in your home that need to be well-lit and are in constant use.
Where can you use different types of glasses in your home?
High-performance glass has many applications, and you can use it to beautify your home quite easily. Some of the common ways to use these different types of glasses in your home are:
- The building facade can be made of high-performance glass to retain that modern look without causing the home to heat up significantly.
- Skylights can be built while using these different types of glasses. You can also create high windows near the roof with these glasses.
- Glass windows can be created all over the home with the help of these different types of glasses. You can also use them in sliding doors.
- Internal partitions can be created using high performance glass to improve the overall energy efficiency of your home.
Where can you get these different types of glasses?
AIS Glass is a part of AIS, which is the largest integrated glass manufacturing company in India. With decades of experience, we ensure that the different types of glasses we offer are of the highest quality. When you’re building your dream home, get in touch with us for the best solutions that are designed for the Indian climate.