Everyone is well versed with the destructive powers of a fire breakout. Not only does such a hazard threaten the life of the occupants of an office building but also poses a significant risk to the property, equipment and the documents inside. This is the very reason why architects and designers provide for the adequate safety of the building and its occupants in the event of a fire by installing fire-proof architectural solutions as per the norms.
Glass the Key to Passive Fire Protection in Offices
Such key solutions form a part of any office building’s Passive Fire Protection (PFP) systems which prevent the spread of fire by creating barriers to its passage for a limited time, enabling occupants to move to a safe environment. PFP is an essential fire safety strategy for any building. If proper planning, installation, and maintenance are implemented, passive fire protection can save lives and the building itself. While PFP may not provide a complete fire safety solution, when combined with AFP (or Active Fire Protection systems), they can make a big difference in case of an emergency.
With glass being one of the most major elements in all office space constructions, opting for multifunctional, specialized glass solutions for safe, secure and comfortable living and working is paramount. Thus, glass forms a key component of an office’s Passive Fire Protection Systems. This is where office building owners can safeguard their investment, employees and business by opting for fire-resistant glass solutions tested and approved according to Indian and international standards such as AIS Pyrobel.
AIS Pyrobel blends light, transparency and fire-protection for all building applications, framing types, and fire-resistance classes and durations. Office building owners can choose from any of the three variants:
- Class E: Prevents flames, smoke, and hot gases from passing through. The fire remains contained.
- Class EW: Integrity and Low Heat Radiation or the ability of the element to prevent the passage of flames and to limit the level of heat transfer through the element.
- Class EI: Integrity and Insulation or the ability of the element to prevent the passage of flames and to block heat transfer through the element.
All in all, with the help of AIS Pyrobel, offices can:
- Remain protected against fire, heat, and smoke for extended periods
- Remain protected against radiation and conductive heat transfer
- Install fire-resistance glass in all framing systems – wood, steel or aluminium or even frameless
Where to Use Fire-Proof Glass in Offices
- Fully glazed fire doors
- Façades and windows to prevent the fire from transmitting inside-out or outside-in
- Data Storage and Server Room enclosures to preserve electronic data
- Stair enclosures or doors with in-built vision panels which provide the most vital access points and exit routes
- Lift doors and enclosures
The secret to keeping your office space safe and fire-proof, therefore, lies in investing in one of the most advanced glass solutions manufactured by AIS, the leading glass company in India. Do take note that it is imperative to install the fire-resistant glass only in systems that comply with safety regulations.